Mommy, how was school?

"Mommeeeee!" yells the sound of exuberant toddler voices that greet me as I walk through the door each evening. While they celebrate my return, they have no concept of where I have been and what I've been doing. When I walk through the door, my two year old often asks me, "mommy how was school?" He knows that his older sister goes to school everyday and assumes that I do too.

Living in a toddler world all his own, he makes his own connections. Since big sister is gone all day and she goes to school mommy is gone all day and she must be going to school too, right? His only frame of reference is going to school. The concept of work has not yet pierced his reality.

When our perception of reality is improperly framed, our expectations of others also become skewed. Selfishness creates an improperly framed reality in which others merely serve our own needs. Understandably, the toddler's world is all about himself but sometimes our selfish nature reduces us to a toddler reality.

Crucifying the flesh also means crucifying selfishness. Strike your flesh a blow by practicing an intentional act of selflessness today.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh... Galatians 5:24a (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!